Elder Scrolls Online Weekly: Are YOU Buying ESO?

This week we dissect the latests Ask Us Anything article which detailed the pre-order and Imperial Edition bonuses and exactly when those would take effect. After that, we discuss ESO freely as the NDA has been lifted. Stay tuned next week as we will finally talk about our “Remember the Chalamo” experience and why the ShoddyCast is now part of Elder Scrolls lore.

1. Taven February 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Guys….do you do any research at all before going live?
    “When do I receive the full benefits of the Explorer’s Pack?

The full range of in-game benefits from the Explorer’s Pack will be unlocked on April 4th. From the start of Early Access, players who pre-ordered or pre-purchased any edition of The Elder Scrolls Online will be able to take advantage of the ability to play as any race in any alliance. To enable this, pre-order customers and customers who pre-purchased from a 3rd party online retailer must first redeem their 3-day or 5-day Early Access code at our official site before the start of the Early Access period.”

• redsatyr February 20, 2014 10:37 pm

“Physical Preorders of the Imperial Edition have access to EA and the Imperial stuff…we got a code to input at the site.”

Yes, however in order to RETAIN those items, you’ll need to use the code from in the box to keep them beyond launch.

2. euantmitch February 19, 2014 10:27 pm

I gotta get a dollar bill like that one. Now.

3. Parvati February 20, 2014 12:26 am

First I’ll answer your question: yes, to me it’s worth buying. I even went physical Imperial (my first CE ever!) – not for the digital stuff, for the artbook. I love artbooks.

I got a chance to play some beta but I already knew what I was getting into thanks to you guys and a few other shows. And from that vantage point, the game delivered.

I feel like I’m the only person on Earth to have loved the starting zone too, but then again, I really enjoy starting zones and beginnings of games for some reason.

I don’t mind the differences with other TES games. I’m an old fan and there are no two TES games that are alike. Gives you some perspective.

Allowing the world to match your level through phasing would be a very bad idea IMO. The MMO world is static so that it allows for people to group together even if they join halfway through. Phasing like that, and you kill the MMO – no point in doing one then.

The ‘no levels’ idea, on the other hand, I do like. AFAIK there are no reasonably big MMOs like that. Neverwinter does have levels. It might have been EQ Next that was announced to be without them, but it’s not playable yet – who knows what it’ll be like.
    The only one that gets kind of close is The Secret World, but even in that game you have levels in gear. The progression is not as exponential as in most MMOs but still a character in QL10 mere greens is not in the same league as a character starting out with QL0 whites; and the monsters in each zone are designed for the QL you’re supposed to be in when you get there, assuming you did everything before that. Every side quest too. Or you’ll get chomped in the face. Hard. And you’d better nail your build as there is no respec at all. Want to talk about a punishing game? ;) (TSW is also very rewarding; great game, I loved it. But it’s not for casuals.)

But instead we’re getting a game with levels. I’m OK with it. It’s the only thing in common all TES games have among them anyway. :]

4. redsatyr February 20, 2014 12:59 am

I believe I recall you guys (Kyle and Josh) saying that the Vampire and Werewolf skills weren’t released. And though they haven’t been officially, I’ve noticed a few sites that have information for those skills. There’s Eldersouls.com and the skill builder on Tesotools.com which both list them. The former also has the skills for Imperials.

5. Brian Myers February 20, 2014 2:30 am

Already bought it. I went through frustrations in the beta, but thats why its a beta. On the whole its an incredible ES game, and i have played ES since Morrowind. I had testing days when i was really angry at the collisions and broken quests, frustrated at how slowly i seemed to advance. But then i would find myself haunted by the world in this game, and i could’nt wait to get back in. I believe they have done well at listening to testers feedback and are making progress. And lastly i have to say that when i finally made level 10 and got to Cyrodil I had an amazingly fun time. You haven’t lived until you storm the gates of a castle and conquer!

6. Silversand February 20, 2014 3:33 am

So happy at how far ESO has come since early Beta and I just know everything will continue to get better, especially with future DLC type releases. Keep the faith Shoddycast and see you handsome gents in Tamriel! :)

7. Cryzeteur February 20, 2014 1:47 pm

As an MMO the game is not set in concrete. It can evolve over time. I agree that there are problems with the combat, such as poison bows instead of using poison to poison arrows. The devs made many questionable compromises to prevent “unbalancing” the game. The fact is that the charm of the Elder Scrolls games is that people liked it unbalanced. Skyrim is popular today because you can mod it. You can put overpowered gear in it if you want. It is still fun to play.

But, that said, the only real problem I found in Beta was the starting areas were boring when you revisited them… and why have starting areas in the first place? Starting areas is so wrong! When you go through the tutorial area in previous games you come out into the world and face unrestricted adventuring. Making it restricted is just plain wrong!

The price of storage is excessive. Makes it really hard to be a crafter.

Selling items for a hundredth of their cost is ridiculous.

Books are a joke.

Still… I love it. It is a fun game. It is challenging. The world is pretty consistent with the other ES games. PvP is fun. And, I already bought it.

8. StopFailing February 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Guys. Do your fucking research before posting a video. I’ve seen you in game a half dozen times and all you do is whine and cry. Most of this video is inaccurate information. You fail.

• redsatyr February 20, 2014 10:51 pm

There are a few inaccuracies which I touched on in a post below yours. If you could touch on what else there is, I’m sure they would appreciate some constructive feedback.

9. redsatyr February 20, 2014 10:48 pm

To Josh and Kyle, there are a few discrepancies with what has been mentioned in this video. I won’t say they are wholly inaccurate, just misinterpreted. The Ring of Mara you acquire will give you AN experience boost (as opposed to what you said, which was SIGNIFICANT), I actually recall in some dev video someone saying the word “slight”, but it was definitely not significant.

In regards to the Imperial Edition, those who got the Physical copies WILL have access to those goodies, but they will need to use the code which is inside their box to KEEP those goodies from launch on.

To those freaking out about ShoddyCast getting some things wrong, chill the f*** out. You might be surprised to know they are human beings and mistakes will be made.

• Tinkerbell February 20, 2014 11:17 pm

good job, “So say we all” !

10. superconductive February 21, 2014 4:40 am

Josh’s review was pretty accurate.
    ESO does NOT live up to the Elder Scrolls series. The starting areas are a big problem, and exploration is not rewarded as it should be.

That being said, from an MMO perspective it is several times better than anything currently out there.