Poll Results: We’re Happy, Sort of

We’re back with another round of polls! With the announcement of pre-order bonuses and the Imperial Edition, we wanted to get some information on how you felt about it. We were also curious how you normally judge RPGs as we all tend to judge them in our own ways. Let’s do it!

We’re Happy, Sort of

According to your own opinion, are you happy overall with ZOS’s pre-order bonuses?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

It’s old news and quite frankly I’m tired of talking about it but the announcement of pre-order bonuses and the Imperial Edition were met with both positive and negative reactions. Some saw it as new content we weren’t expecting to see so it came as a delightful shock. Others simply saw it as a money grab from the suits at Zenimax Media Inc. However you saw it yourself, it’s probably here to stay so you might as well take advantage of the situation. There’s websites selling the Imperial Edition for the same price as the standard edition. I don’t know how these sites are doing it, but they are and most are reputable. So if you sort of want to stick it to the man, but also want the content found in the Imperial Edition, then I suggest you find one of these deals.

Regardless of how we feel about the bonuses and such, we still are happy with the game as a whole and are really looking forward to playing it. We will be showing off the game in the next couple weeks as we’ve been granted limited access to recording our own gameplay, so stay tuned for that.

Imperial-Edition

RPGs, How Do You Judge Them?

When judging an RPG, what do you look at first?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

Role-playing games are generally very robust. They tend to have epic soundtracks, hefty mechanics, captivating story and engaging characters or they have none of this because they’re terrible. So what’s the first aspect you look for in RPGs?

The results here are kind of humorous as they are the 2 most argued over aspects of a game. People that are more technical (which many gamers are) tend to look at the mechanics of a game first, because if they are annoying or just outright bad, then it distracts from any possibility of a good story. Then there’s the more hardcore RPGers that simply want an amazing story that will draw them into the world and as long as they’re getting that they don’t really care about the mechanics.

Personally, I prefer good mechanics to story. Josh on the other hand can take it or leave it.

1. AlphaIL February 9, 2014 5:09 pm

An option I think you should have added to the 2nd poll is “Longevity”, as in end game content and appeal after the first few days/weeks of the game. If the game’s End game content is lacking, or it has very low / annoying replay value I will not buy it. That said after I got burnt twice by both GW2 and SWTOR (the latter had a decent replay value at leveling, but not much end game in my own opinion).
    I think it is a major factor considering this is a subscription based game.

• Trouvo February 9, 2014 5:13 pm

I disagree because the question was specifically RPG not MMORPG, really big difference.

• Razorgimpy February 9, 2014 8:44 pm

still longlivity as ff13 is considerd a rpg but you run trough it in less then 10 hours

2. Teyin Oscera February 9, 2014 5:26 pm

for me what i look for in an rpg is to be who you want to be

3. Amber February 9, 2014 6:00 pm

I look at Characters first. If I can’t imagine myself as that character, nor want to delve deeper into their lore- then a game won’t appeal to me.

4. Quentin February 9, 2014 7:43 pm

I voted mechanics because you cannot have a game with bad mechanics.

But if there was an option for storytelling I would go with that. The story in itself (characters, twists, storyacrs, ending etc.) is not that important. Movies and books will always do that better. But subtle storytelling through locations, atmosphere and gameplay – that’s what games are best at.

Scripted masseffect-like story will (at least for me) never be as immersive as for example hunting orcs in (vanilla) world of warcraft. Intense trailer to hook you in. Addictive leveling to make you care about your character. Beautiful big world with strongly-themed atmospheric locations. Pvp ranking, barely restricted world pvp and ganking to really make you hate the opposing faction. Lore that slowly creeps on you even if you never read a line of quest text to make you feel wonder of the high fantasy adventure. Playing with friends to give it reallife impact through new friendships, guild meetings etc.

That is good “storytelling” in a PC game.

5. Cryzeteur February 9, 2014 8:22 pm

I voted mechanics too, but what I mean by mechanics is how easy and intuitive the controls are. I do not care if battle mechanics are too simple. ES has always had good simple controls. I prefer controller to keyboard because I do not depend on chatting in game. I prefer solo quests — but not hard mode (ie Garuda in FF). I like to get the best armor possible and a good weapon (daedric, double enchanted) and then just explore and quest. When you are not running for your life you can pay more attention to story and music.

6. Tinkerbell February 9, 2014 8:42 pm

The characters is always my first prior when buying a game to play on the computer, the elder scroll lore books capture the story for me.

7. euantmitch February 9, 2014 9:11 pm

For me what’s crucial in an RPG is the feel of it – how it plays, animations, immersiveness. I want to absorb myself into a game.

8. Eschia February 10, 2014 1:05 pm

I still don’t plan to buy it on the account that they’re charging extra money for content that should be part of the subscription model. “we might as well deal with it” is a horrible mindset IMO, because it’s basically holding up a white flag and bending over with your pants down to prepare for the inevitable. When you pay for these bonus items, you’re telling them this is what you want them to keep doing. Are people that addicted to MMOs these days they would pay more for less? I’ve been playing MMOs for 2 decades, and even I have my limits. I will pay sub fees if it’s that kind of MMO, but if it’s free to play, I most likely wont buy anything until I absolutely need it. The only impression I want to leave on a companies face is “if you’re product is good, and you don’t nickel and dime me, I may buy your product”. So in conclusion, I’m withholding my investment in this game until they come to their senses if ever.

• Eschia February 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Having said that, when the day comes I choose to purchase the game, I already know not to expect it to feel like any other TES game. I was in beta. It’s basically a average MMO, that simply takes place on Nirn. That doesn’t make me like it less however, due to the fact I did enjoy the quick playthrough I did during beta. So it’s not a “bad” game in any respect, it just simply will not feel like what we expect the title portrays.

9. bryan hyland February 10, 2014 4:51 pm

it is not right that they want people to buy the collectors addition just to beable to play the imperials and or to have any extra character creations
    zenimax needs to do the collectors addition with the vanady pet and a mouse pad,a music disc and a dvd that has the making of the game that is my thoughts

10. Don February 10, 2014 8:42 pm