Poll Results: What ESO Info Do You Want and Do Video Games Promote Violence

There’s been a lot of activity on the polls recently so I’d like to thank everyone for that. With all the PvP information that was released recently for ESO, it brought up the question of what information we actually want to hear from Zenimax Online Studios. Also, I saw yet another news piece a few weeks ago that brought up video game violence and how it promotes violence in the real world. As such, I thought it would be a good question to bring up with you all and you didn’t let me down. Let’s do this!

What ESO Info Do You Want to Hear?

What two ESO subjects do you want more information about most?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

On this poll I allowed you to choose 2 answers. I did this in part so that you could have an easier time choosing as I’m sure there’s a lot of information you’d love to have. Mostly, however, I did this because I myself was having a hard time choosing.

Elder-Scrolls-Online-Introduction-Sieging

The top choice was questing and exploration. This really isn’t a surprise as most of you will be coming from Skyrim or other past TES games and thus most of your time in those games was spent doing just that. Of course you’d want to know specifically how questing will work and how you’ll be rewarded for exploration. Part of this has been explained a bit in a past video found below, but it still didn’t answer everything. And questing hasn’t really been addressed directly through one of these video, but instead through interviews at gaming conventions and with gaming-centric websites. It’s very clear then that the people want more information on these extremely important parts of the game that will make up the majority of our playing experience with ESO.

With almost exactly the same amount of votes at the writing of this article, end-game PvE and crafting take 2nd place. Both of these are very important to the longevity of the game. The failings of past MMOs were that they were released with little to no end-game and thus when players reached max level, there was nothing else to do. ESO on the other hand promises to have plenty of end-game which will include 3-faction PvP, master-level dungeons, 50+ and 50++ content, as well as the poll’s third place winner of Adventure Zones. On top of all of this is the promise of DLC-level content on a regular basis around every 4-6 weeks. I think it’s safe to say that ZOS will need to stay on top of all of this because once players start hitting level 50, they will want to know they are getting their money’s worth every month.

Elder-Scrolls-Online-Gathering

Adventure Zones: the final bit of information I personally have been waiting for. All we know is it will house end-game content for both small groups and instanced areas for large groups of 12. I really hope they are spending their time on this part and that is why they haven’t released more information on it. Raids have been done before. A large group beats down on the ankles of a huge beast, the beast has some mechanics and the group fells the beast. ZOS has led on that this will not be the case for Adventure Zones. They’ve hinted at having multiple larger foes that your group will have to split up in order to properly defeat. Honestly, I hope these zones are designed to be dynamic, by which I mean they can change based on how your team is progressing. I’ve talked about this before, but I think it’s an interesting idea.

At the end of the day, we just want more information unless it’s more PvP information. We get it ZOS, you’re PvP is awesome. We’re sold! Now move on and show the haters that this game is more than just cool PvP in the Elder Scrolls universe. Show us why this game deserves a monthly subscription and you’ll have a much more loyal fan base. And start the open beta, will ya?! Kidding, but seriously… I know ZOS has this stance that they don’t wish to release too much information. They want to keep some things secret to be found while playing the game and that’s fine. But don’t avoid entire subjects to do that. Release the information and let us decide what we wish to know.

BoneCollossus

Violent Video Games Promote Violence?

The age-old question: Do violent video games promote real-world violence?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

Who hasn’t heard this debate in the past? Any time there’s a shooting or violent act on a school campus, officials love to jump to the conclusion that videos games are the cause. Just search the topic and you’ll find dozens of “studies” that suggest this is the case. If you dig deeper though, you may find what a load of bull this is. There’s usually never one cause to anything like this. Negligent parents, improper living arrangements, peer pressure, mental illness, drugs: all of these can be attributed to the cause of why some children may become violent. But then they find, “Oh, wait. This kid was playing Call of Duty!” Let’s use this to find an easy scapegoat so that we don’t have to talk about the real causes.

video-games-blamed-for-violent-teen-attack

Let’s be honest here. The fault falls on the parents. Kids will be introduced to violence one way or another through movies, television, interactions at school and yes, video games. It’s up to the parents to make sure their children understand the difference between violence seen on a screen and true violence in the world. It seems the popular thing to do is pass the blame onto other things when really a strong, positive parental influence is generally all that’s needed.

12GAME-articleLarge

In the end, it’s on the individual family to decide what’s proper for their children. Some can handle the violence in a mature way, some may not. But to blame an entire medium for the violence found in schools today is ridiculous. ‘Nough said!

1. Daralyn January 19, 2014 7:44 pm

of course it is ridiculous
    I play violent games my whole life, started with things like Doom and such, and I never stabbed, shot, blow up anybody. Actually I punched one or two guys, but they well deserved it

2. seanpeace1234 January 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Video games don’t promote violence. It’s the stupidity of the people playing the games that can’t handle it. Same argument as the Gun ban, guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

3. Euan Mitchell January 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I think most of us agree that we’ve had too much PVP information and not enough of the rest of it – come on Zenimax!

4. Mortimer January 19, 2014 11:56 pm

I disagree with Euan. PvP is what this game will be about for me.

5. Joojoobees January 20, 2014 12:18 am

I’m not bothered by the fact that they have released a bunch of PvP info lately. If you look at what they have been doing, they released info on character creation, character progression, and PvP. I think the idea was to have these basics in place, and continue to release more videos like this in the next two months (probably at least one relating to PvE). Then they have all this information sitting there on youtube when the game comes out, and people are wondering what it is.

If you think of it that way, they probably knew all along the PvP thing was cool, but not the ultimate selling point, or else they would have waited to release that info as close to launch as possible.

6. Cris Spiegel January 20, 2014 5:12 am

I believe violent games, like any other media, contribute to a cultural context the same way the cultural context will influence games and maybe they fit in society that’s somewhat aggressive, but I don’t believe a game will directly cause a violent action unless the person has some kind of instability (is crazy). And if people really respect each other, are reasonable and stuff, it’s unlikely videogames will contribute into making them less like that because they’ll have enough good judgment.

I’m not only considering agressive actions here but also agressive positions, because a society or community where people are less considerate is more likely to be more violent. In that case, I can see violent games as indirect cause of violent actions, but it’s unlikely someone would be able to trace the causal chain specifically toward gaming. It’s more effective to try and change people’s mentality because if people get that low, it’s because they are all fucked up in the mind. And I bet we are all fucked up in the mind in some way or another.

7. Flarezium January 20, 2014 5:25 am

“We get it ZOS, you’re PvP is awesome.” *your*

8. Zoran Novak January 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Greeting Shoddy Cast! (Shoddy Talk sounds like a great heading for a tab on your page!) Great article.
    As an “older” gamer (44 years old) and father of two pre-teen boys, I totally agree that the fault of the acts of violence by today’s youth is the result of horrific parenting. I coach my sons in sports and a lot of his team mates bitch about how their parents only let them play GTAV for a couple of hours a night. Also, I heard a group of 12 year olds talking, with their parents standing right by them, about picking up hookers, having sex with them then beating them and stealing their money! Big WTF moment there.
    First of all, aren’t all the GTA games adult rated games, that means the parents had to buy the game! The parents use electronics to baby sit their kids. This isn’t the Jetsons and an XBOX or PS isn’t real babysitting.
    To me, you hit the mail on the head and the problems today are a result of generations of bad parenting. It started with the hippie parents letting their kids “experiment with and experience” life to today’s lazy parents weaning their kids on the electronic nipple!
    I had a couple of parents say that killing things, ALA COD style, was better than hunting deer, turkey and goose. I’m from Michigan and hunting is not only traditional, it teaches responsibility, matures children and shows them that once you pull the trigger there is no going back. There are consequences for discharging a firearm and they are permanent. No reset button.
    Keep up with the awesome work.

• pwntface January 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Excellent points Zoran.
      I’m 31 and the father of two and I couldn’t agree more. Both of my kids have friends and relatives even that play violent video games and I can’t help but feel their parents are being lazy and using video games as a babysitter. It’s easy to just say ‘ok’ to kids when they want to do everything their friends are doing. A real parent will stand up for the morals they want to instill in their children. +1 to you sir.

9. alien138 January 21, 2014 3:32 am

You’re great ShodyCast, keep it up.
    And video games don’t promote bad things, it’s bullcr@p!