Poll Results: Character Creation and What Causes MMO Failures

ESO

Sorry for the delay with articles. Between looking for a house and getting the new series out, we’ve been a little busier than usual. This poll we asked what you thought was the leading cause for failure with MMOs and also asked what news had you most excited about ESO last month. Let’s get it on!

What news this month has you most excited about ESO?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

I was delighted with the Character Creation video that came out, spotlighting the vast amount of customization. With over 2 dozen sliders, including scars, face/body paint and adornments and 2 triangular sliders for face and body, with more tweaks available, it proves that you can really make a character unique. If you wanted that fat Argonian or that skinny, Skooma-addict Khajiit, you can do so.

ESO-Character-Creation

What information I was most happy about was in our interview with Mr. The Konk (Nick Konkle). He described a lot of what ZOS was doing to make sure the combat in ESO felt “weighty.” By that we mean when you strike your opponent you should feel that impact. Through screen shake, sound, player AND enemy reaction, weapon viscosity and custom deaths, I really feel like the combat in ESO will not be the “floaty” experience described in past play tests.

teso-combat1

I may begin to ask this poll question at the end of every month to gauge what you all deemed exciting information which could help out the show in the future. Let’s just hope we will continue to receive new information from Zenimax.

maxresdefault

What do you think is the main cause for failing MMOs?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

Many MMOs come and go. Many go without us even realizing they were there. There’s not one main cause to the failure of an MMO. If there was, there probably wouldn’t be any failed ones. But with a list of leading causes of failed MMOs, I asked which you thought was the main cause.

rsz_8bearbutts_72

Boring, uninterested and generic content. We look at WoW almost 10 years ago. We see a game with mainstream appeal. Most players have little experience with other MMOs so the genre is new. Players love the questing, the adventure. The colorful characters that give us amazing stories and plenty of ugly creatures to kill. Now in 2013, we realize how crappy the content really is when compared to the engaging content that is out there in other games. Don’t get me wrong, I love the WoW end-game. At least I did. But my brain would probably go comatose if I tried to level a character from 1-85 or whatever the cap is now. The problem is the quests are just boring, monotonous and has become the butt of most jokes in relation to questing (i.e. collect 10 bear asses). So WoW became a mass success with its boring content because it was new (don’t nag me about Everquest and Eve, I know they were there first) but now that we know better, we see them losing hundreds of thousands of subscribers every quarter.

wow-quest-giver

ESO is striving to give us the questing experience of a TES game in an MMO setting. A huge undertaking but ZOS feels confident which in turn gives me confidence. Let’s just hope they pull through with it.

eso-ava

The next factor that I feel strongly about is the lack of end-game. I tend to level quickly and want to find a vast sort of end-game to drive through and collect gear. Sadly, Guild Wars 2 did not do well with end-game. I should have known when they started saying the phrase –leveling is end-game. That was paraphrased of course. ESO should offer plenty of choice when it comes to end-game. Cyrodiilic PvP, adventure zones, master dungeons, veteran rank system, 50+ content and the promise of DLC-style post launch content patches every 4-6 weeks.

eso-siege

Well that’s enough for this week. Thanks for taking the polls and don’t forget to take this week’s polls. I will also be releasing an article about PvP and PvE in ESO and whether we should worry about the focus on PvP.

1. Temijin Deathstalker November 3, 2013 5:22 pm

In character creation, why do female khajiit and Argonians have human like breasts? Khajiit should have multiple breasts in line with their feline ancestors. Argonians should have none in line with their reptilian ancestors. Is there something in lore that would explain this oddity?

• Nicole November 3, 2013 5:36 pm

They are humanoids

2. Reaps November 3, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes the majority of people who make games are men fact and men love breasts fact. for the QUEEN !!!!!

• Temijin Deathstalker November 3, 2013 8:54 pm

Breasts covered in scales or fur? Sir, you are seriously sick in the head! LOL,

• Ælfan November 3, 2013 11:32 pm

Well, they are almost always covered by clothing, but its the shape and the concept that’s appealing, not the cloth (or scales, or fur). Also if it helps, perhaps some of the other less humanoid races of Khajiit do have 6. I can’t defend the Argonians though, I’d prefer that they didn’t have them. Hail High King Emeric!

3. Andrew Allen Young November 3, 2013 7:19 pm

The WoW leveling experience was fun, the 1st time you did it, personally I believe that an MMO needs replay-ability. We all know (at least the MMO vets here do) that no matter how amazing your end game is, eventually we will either run out of content, or reach content that our guild can not progress through. So what most of us do is make an alt, and if your game is only fun the 1st time through; people will start to loose interest.

4. Elloa (@ElloaWendy) November 3, 2013 11:14 pm

Very nice article and poll, as usual! :)

However, I need to take World of Warcraft defence, for once. Since Wrath of the Lych King which introduced for the first time the phasing system, and the entiere Azeroth revamp in Cataclysm, I disagree with WOW having uninteresting quest. The quest are now generaly fun, with lot of humour, lot of stories and different mechanics. Some zones were awesome to level in, like the underwater zone Vashjir. There is also amazing chain quest: the emotional death of Bolvar Fordragon, the Harrison Jones quest in Uldum, the starting area for Pandaren.
    WOW have improved a lot, and I can say that questing is certainly not a problem anymore in WOW. It’s even sad than while leveling a new toons up to 90, you may see less than 50% of all of this, because the leveling is so fast that you have no time to clear up a zone anymore.

The weakness in WOW, the bad side of that game, imho, is that they have destroyed the social aspect by introducing the Dungeon Finder, transforming the community into an antisocial, selfish, self centred, rude community, where nice people at best are just the silent ones. This is something they try to solve…. but i’m not sure they can repair the damage they have done.

5. Ferring November 4, 2013 6:10 pm

Heya! Just wanted to remind you that the 2nd picture with the daggerfall covenant starter is a picture from the leaked beta footage. I don’t know if that’s okey to use now, in that case nevermind this. =)

6. Joseph Hughes November 4, 2013 10:06 pm

I hope the character creation is like skyrims, it’s so easy, in oblivion my dark elf had a big red pacth around his nose as if he was punched multiple times!