Poll Results: An Even Spread and the Future for Gaming

Hello and welcome back! I believe this is our best turnout yet with over 1500 votes this week. This time we asked what race you believe you’ll be playing first in ESO and where you saw gaming going in the future. Let’s hit it!

An Even Spread

What race will you be playing first in ESO?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

I love what I’m seeing here. No huge gaps between race choices at all. In fact, there’s less than a 10% difference from the most and least popular choices at the time of this article. This is the second time we’ve asked this question though the first time we only received a fraction of the results we got here. The Bosmer take the cake on this one just nearly beating out the Altmer. We aren’t sure why so many people love the Bosmer. Yes, they have a fascinating history but so do all of the races. Josh seems to believe it’s because they are the most elf-like race: living attuned with nature, running through the treetops, shooting bows and eating each other. Okay, maybe not the last part. Anywho, we’re sure Skyrim is mostly responsible for Nords taking 3rd.¬†It seems even with the Thalmor invading Skyrim, many of you still love the magicka-toting High Elves.

scene

Bretons are cool in my book. A mixed race of men and mer with an affinity toward magic, diplomacy and trade. No wonder they are leading the Daggerfall Covenant.

thumb2

Then come Dunmer and Khajiiti. Destruction magic, ashen skin and kick-ass armor in ESO is what sets the Dark Elves apart. Not to mention all of the Daedric worshiping. Maybe that’s why all the Dunmer are a-holes in TES games. Seriously, go talk to some of them and see how rude they can be. It could also be that their land was decimated by a huge volcano but whatever. The Khajiiti are a beast race and as such get a bad rap both in the game and in real life. So they bury their poop in warm desert sands and have a sweet tooth for Moon Sugar. They are also deadly¬†guerrilla fighters, crafty salesmen and can clean places on themselves humans can only dream about. I, myself, will be rolling a Khajiit Nightblade by the name of Dar’Turok within the public eye, though I’ll be playing another toon in secret…. SHH!!!

dunmer2

And this brings us to the final 3. Argonians also get a bad reputation, but they are so cool. They’d be my race of choice had they been in the Dominion. Claws and fangs, water-breathing, immunity to poisons and disease, what’s not to love? I have to say that from some of the models I’ve seen, Argonians are so freaking cool looking in ESO and I cannot wait to see the Shadowscales. Ah, the Redguards. Rather aggressive, Redguards. They see what they want and fight for it –even if it means having to ally with people they don’t see eye to eye with. And then there were Orsimer. Technically a beast race, but since the days of Skyrim, are seen more as a cursed type of mer. Quite literally changed form due to a Daedric Prince pooped from another Daedric Prince, but don’t let that keep you from playing an Orc as they are very determined to fight for what’s theirs. Proof is in Orsinium.

argonian boat 1

If you’re not sure what race you’ll be playing, watch our lore series below. Only Khajiit and Altmer are missing but will be done before the end of October so stay tuned for that.

The Future of Gaming

The personal computer. My gaming platform of choice. While this poll is probably rather bias since we’re mostly PC gamers, I still hold to it that PC gaming is sort of the future for gaming. I say that because in the next 20-30 years, I see homes built around a powerful computer. Maybe not the smart homes we’ve seen in movies and TV, but for sure our computers (quantum or not) will be the central hub of information and data transfers around the house. Wi-fi is amazing and will be sending out information to appliances, TVs and even clocks on our nightstands. Wish to play a game? No need to sit down at your desk. No, no! You just chill on the couch with a controller or one of those stupid touch gloves and turn on the TV. Your TV will be streaming live gameplay from your computer. That’s right! Your computer does all of the computing, transfers the data wirelessly to your television so you can game virtually anywhere in your house. Just think of it! No longer will you have to pee in a bottle when ESO 3 comes out because you can game from your toilet on a handheld which is still powered by your PC.

Smart_house_movie_cover

Who really knows what the future holds for gaming? What we do know is a huge step was taken in console gaming with the decision by both companies to start using the same coding archetype as PCs, the power x86. With all platforms running the same coding, we will see much better ports with more and more games. It’s exciting!

1. TheShade September 23, 2013 12:11 am

The Bretons actually are third popular not the Nords, which is quite odd to me

2. Mark September 23, 2013 7:04 am

This is an MMO still, so for the most part race will be determined by your racial for max DPS/Tanking/Healing output.

3. Daralyn September 23, 2013 8:55 am

must agree with your statement. Over the years many people said that PC is dead…and yet there is still here

4. Daralyn September 23, 2013 8:58 am

About Mark’s comment… well I don’t agree completely.
    EOS is different from many MMOs – sure there will be people who wants max output, but still system is different, and because there are no set roles, altough some classes has better dispositions I think it wll be about choice rather than obligation when comes to most of community

5. Aziz September 23, 2013 11:17 am

wow … I thought nords and dunmer will lead cuz of skyrim and morrowind, and bretons cuz they look like normal humans but thank god i was wrong.

I went breton in oblivion and skyrim but now I’m going for Aldmeri Dominion cuz it has three regions we never explored before in ES games and Altmer cuz Sumerset Isles seems the most mysterious region in Tamriel. Altmer never allow outsiders in and it’s the origin of the Phsijic Order.

@mark … I’m not gona be paranoid about maxing in this game like all the other mmos I played. I want to play it like any other ES game with my friends and that means exploration and lore are my main goals.

6. aV414Ncl4e September 23, 2013 9:57 pm

I’ve been following ESO’s development since I first heard about it a year or so ago, and despite all that time thinking and dreaming about how this game will turn out, it was still a terribly difficult decision to choose between each and every one of these races. However, after lengthy internal debate, comparisons of relative strengths and weaknesses of each race and also the strengths and weaknesses of each faction, in the end I chose Bosmer. The Ebonheart Pact consists of Nords, Dark Elves, and Argonians — three races who in any other circumstances wouldn’t hesitate to horribly murder or enslave the others. It is a pact of necessity only. The Daggerfall Covenant is comprised of Bretons, Redguards, and Orcs — inarguably the most fearsome of all factions when it comes to melee combat…that is if the Bretons and Redguards can manage to cease all in-fighting within their own clans to form an alliance that doesn’t seek to supress the Orcs and steal their land from them. No, I chose the Bosmer and the Aldmeri Dominion because while the Wood Elves and the Khajhiit are traditional enemies who would love nothing more than to rip each others throats out, Queen Ayrenn of the Altmer was a true force for positive change in an Elsweyr being ravaged by the Knahaten Flu. This gratitude for the aid of the future Queen in their direst hour will not only extend to her and the Altmer, but to all Elves in the Dominion — even the Bosmer. The Aldmeri Dominion will be host to the best races in all of Tamriel when it comes to magic, archery, and stealth. There is no question that the Aldmeri Dominion are the uncontested masters of ranged combat in this war. Oh, and if you get too close, the Khajiit will just claw your faces off and then the Bosmer will eat you — every last piece.

7. superconductive September 24, 2013 3:59 am

OMG I’m so happy with that interview.

Unrestricted (non-member) guild trading- confirmed!
    Thieves guild, Dark Brotherhood, Stealing/justice system- all confirmed as updates.
    They are also likely adding dueling in future :D
    Filled soul gems to revive– that’s Elder scrolls all the way!
    Only thing they haven’t done and which they already explained in the past was pickpocketing.

I feel like giving Konkle a man hug right now!

8. Jamie September 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I will be making 1 of each race but I’ve only ever played as Argonian, so that will be my main.